The Official Student News Site of Parkway West High

Pathfinder

Pathfinder

Pathfinder

The emphasis on the Black Lives Matter movement has become stronger than ever and will continue to grow.

What can you do?

Bri Davis, Staff Writer June 11, 2020

Moving further into 2020, the death of George Floyd caused by police officers has awakened the Black Lives Matter movement. For the past two weeks, protests have been spreading all over the world, from...

More than 1,800 colleges in the US offer a substitutional way to get an on campus feel.

A virtual reality: Juniors tour their future schools online

Makinsey Drake, Staff Writer May 25, 2020

With colleges closed all around the country due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, college-seeking students have had to explore their future school options via virtual tours.  Juniors Reese Berry, Bri...

Taking a break from school work, freshman Tyler Lang relaxes and plays with his new puppy Rona. After adopting the puppy a few weeks ago from Feral Companion, the Lang family named Rona after the Coronavirus. “I think having a dog during this time is helpful because it’s a good break away from eLearning and it also lightens the mood of everyone in our house,” Lang said.

24 hours of quarantine

Elle Rotter, Staff Writer May 22, 2020

Daily routines have changed with the pandemic as there are few requirements to hold students accountable. Getting out of bed in the morning depends on whether you have a required Zoom call. With so much...

With iftar time arriving, junior Fatema Rehmani and her family gather to break their fast with dates and water, a tradition rooted in the religious teachings of Prophet Muhammad.

Religious observances during quarantine

With holidays arriving during a pandemic –and social distancing measures remaining in effect across the globe to curb the spread of the novel coronavirus–students describe how their practices changed...

Working on his online physical education homework, senior Jake Juenger finishes his last couple assignments of his high school career. Juenger felt as though eLearning was a waste of time. “The only change in my methods is that I no longer do any of my homework or assignments because I feel like the work I am doing online won’t affect anything for what I need for college,” Juenger said.

Students and teachers adjust to a new online learning system

Tre Bell, Staff Writer May 6, 2020

Due to the Coronavirus epidemic, students and teachers have transitioned to a new way of learning through technology.  The class of 2020 seniors got an unusual send off to college with having to finish...

COVID-19 is impacting underserved communities the hardest in Saint Louis and across the country as a result of historical inequities.

COVID-19 is exposing inequities

Ulaa Kuziez, Staff Writer May 5, 2020

As health departments in Saint Louis City and County release COVID-19 data about cases and deaths relating to race and ethnicity, it has become clear that the burden of cases is falling heavily on communities...

Handing out food to students prior to the suspension and ultimate reinstating of the daily meal pick-up service, a volunteer provides meals to a family. Parkway has stated that they worked to resume the meal service as quickly as possible. “Right now we are working to put additional safety plans and precautions in place to protect our community and employees, including protective equipment,” Parkway said in a statement.

Parkway reevaluates meal pick-up services

Leah Schroeder, Staff Writer May 5, 2020

Due to concerns regarding the COVID-19 pandemic, Parkway made the decision to temporarily suspend their daily meal pickup service in order to reduce the spread of the novel Coronavirus.  “Food for...

Professional football returns to St. Louis, only to have the season cut short

Michael Lolley, Staff Writer May 5, 2020

Since the Rams left in 2016, St. Louis has had to live without professional football; however, the Xtreme Football League (XFL) has brought the sport back. In 2018, Alpha Entertainment announced the...

Quarantined at home, junior Drew Milholland scrolls through Instagram for inspiration and entertainment. Social media is what many students have used to distract themselves from boredom. [Not having social media] would severely impact the mental state of everyone, regardless of how much they use social media, Milholland said. Id be a million times more irritable and sick of quarantine if it werent for these apps that let me stay connected with the outside world.

Social media connects in a time of distancing

Elle Rotter, Staff Writer April 28, 2020

Nowadays, just a single tap on a phone can lead teens into a black hole, consuming hours of their day. According to care.com, parents fear the risks of social media such as sharing personal information,...

The global shutdown caused by COVID-19 is helping the environment as carbon emissions are reduced.

An unexpected beneficiary of COVID-19: the environment

Ashlyn Gillespie, Staff Writer April 28, 2020

According to John Hopkins University, more than 2 million people have tested positive for COVID-19.  About 600,000 of those people have recovered, while about 160,000 have died globally. While COVID-19...

Donate to Pathfinder
$190
$800
Contributed
Our Goal

Activate Search
Community