• Beta Chi Pi selling Ted Drewes at lunch April 17!

• Blood Moon lunar eclipse April 15 from 12-3 AM!

• Senior-Directed One Acts April 17 at 3 and 7 PM!

• No school April 18!

• AP registration due by April 17!

• USDA bans the sale of junk food in schools (starting July 1st)

• Last day to buy a yearbook is April 15!

• Prom tickets go on sale April 14!

• April is Autism Awareness Month!

Student Spotlight: Carolyn Rourke

Student Spotlight: Carolyn Rourke

Eileen Tully, Staff Writer
April 16, 2014
Filed under Features

With graduation on May 17, senior Carolyn Rourke has decided to defer going to college for a year. Instead, Rourke will be participating in a ten-month volunteer trip to Bali and Peru. “I’ve always wanted to do a cool volunteer trip like this to help less fortunate communities and see their cultures... Read More »

Things Disney taught us

Things Disney taught us

Eileen Tully, Staff Writer
April 10, 2014
Filed under Blogs

No matter how much we don’t want to admit it, the movies we watch, especially as kids, shape who we are today. Even with all of the movies that glorify violence, sex, drugs and alcohol, society tends to forget about one of the largest film industries that has greatly influenced our morals today:... Read More »

Dressing for the dress code

Dressing for the dress code

Eileen Tully, Staff Writer
April 4, 2014
Filed under Opinions, Showcase

After a harsh winter, spring has finally sprung! However, this means warmer weather, more flowers, more fun and unfortunately, more skin showing. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for shedding the sweats when summertime comes around, but not at school. Outside of school, feel free to dress however... Read More »

Missing out on Mr. Longhorn

Missing out on Mr. Longhorn

Eileen Tully, Staff Writer
March 28, 2014
Filed under Opinions

For the past two years, the senior boys have provided the West community with one of the most exhilarating events of the year: Mr. Longhorn. Mr. Longhorn is essentially a male beauty pageant that allows the senior boys to strut their stuff one final time on the theatre stage. However, this year, the... Read More »

Spicing up Parkway with the Culinary Cook-Off

Eileen Tully, Staff Writer
March 13, 2014
Filed under News, Showcase

On March 5, seniors Catherine Kuehner, Ricardo Perez, Claire Patterson and junior Gus Unwin competed in a culinary cook-off at Parkway South High School.  The competition included all four Parkway schools. "Whenever any of our teams compete against other Parkway schools, there's automatically a sense... Read More »

Girls’ Soccer looks forward to upcoming season

Eileen Tully, Staff Writer
March 6, 2014
Filed under Sports

After being eliminated in the first round of the districts tournament last season, the girls' soccer team looks to battle further into the competition this year. Players who are trying out will be tested on their fitness level, raw talent, ability to work as a team in game-like situations and willingness... Read More »

Ellen DeGeneres sets the bar for upcoming Oscars broadcasts

Eileen Tully, Staff Writer
March 4, 2014
Filed under Blogs

On March 2, talk show host Ellen DeGeneres created a few "firsts" and broke records for the 2014 broadcast of the Academy Awards in the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood. Here are the top ten reasons why DeGeneres is the perfect host for not only daytime television, but the Oscars as well. 10. All the way... Read More »

Circle Star Ranch provides enriching volunteer opportunities

Eileen Tully, Staff Writer
February 25, 2014
Filed under News

With Special Olympics festivities coming to an end, inspiring volunteer opportunities may seem a thing of the past. However, there is another upcoming opportunity to volunteer at Circle Star Ranch, a camp run by the Erin Eickmeier Foundation (EEF). "The mission of the EEF is to enrich the lives of... Read More »

Teddy bears traded for romance this Valentine’s Day

Eileen Tully, Staff Writer
February 12, 2014
Filed under News

The aisles of CVS stores are flooded with chocolates, candy, flowers, jewelry and stuffed animals with the "Be Mine?" phrase coined on them. What day is fast approaching? Valentine's Day! With childhood memories of home made cards and candy fading, Valentine's Day takes on a new meaning as teenagers... Read More »

Girls basketball expecting great things

Girls basketball expecting great things

Eileen Tully, Staff Writer
January 23, 2014
Filed under Sports

On Dec. 2 2013, guided study hall teacher and girls basketball coach John Sloop, along with the rest of the girls basketball team and fans, celebrated their first win of the season against Parkway North. This was the first game the athletes played of their 2013-14 season and the first time a Parkway... Read More »

Elect the best

Eileen Tully, Staff Writer
May 21, 2013
Filed under News

On April 30 at midnight, the voting poll for the 2013-2014 student representative election was opened. The category in which each candidate was placed in was based on his or her grade and position in which they chose to run for. These positions included Sophomore Class President and Vice President, Junior... Read More »

Prom?

Prom?

Eileen Tully, Staff Writer
April 18, 2013
Filed under Snapshot

On March 31, junior Kori Saake asks junior Emily Judd to prom. Kori set up the word "Prom" with a few hundred candles in Judd's driveway on Easter night. "I was really caught off guard. I felt like I was in some Hallmark or Disney movie," Judd said.

Varsity girls soccer takes first place at Longhorn Classic Tourney

Eileen Tully, Staff Writer
April 16, 2013
Filed under Sports

On the weekend of April 12, the varsity girls soccer team hosted and placed first at the Longhorn Classic Tourney. The four day tournament began on Wednesday, April 10 and lasted through Saturday, April 13. "We didn't know what to expect. We enter every tournament hopeful and focused," coach Annie... Read More »

Look to the stars

Look to the stars

Eileen Tully, Staff Writer
April 11, 2013
Filed under News

Throughout the year, astronomy teacher Colleen O’Toole attends star parties that are hosted by different Astronomical Societies around the area. Star parties take place at various locations for a few hours in the evening. These parties include shows in the planetarium and child-friendly activities... Read More »

Culinary students take home second place at cook-off

Eileen Tully, Staff Writer
March 13, 2013
Filed under News

On Wednesday, March 6, seniors Carolyn Stewart, Kristen Solodar, Laila Kuziez and Kevin Kobalt competed in the Ready Set Cook Competition at Parkway North High School. The cook-off was hosted by Kendall College included Parkway West, Parkway North, Parkway South, Parkway Central and Lafayette. Competitors... Read More »

Alison Owen to be released from Children’s Hospital today

Eileen Tully, Staff Writer
February 28, 2013
Filed under News

Today, Feb. 28, sophomore Alison Owen will be released from Children's Hospital after receiving treatment for the past 26 days. On Friday, Feb. 1, Owen was involved in a car accident and initially suffered a brain hemorrhage, broken vertebrae, bruised lungs and had fluid in her abdomen. With her occupational,... Read More »

Girls lacrosse: check it out

Girls lacrosse: check it out

Eileen Tully, Staff Writer
February 27, 2013
Filed under Sports

On Monday Feb. 25, girls’ lacrosse tryouts began. On the first day, tryouts consisted of an informational meeting about the upcoming season. Tuesday, the players ran, performed drills and did plyos, a series of warm-up exercises such as skipping and lunges. “It would’ve been hard for people... Read More »

FaceWash your Facebook

FaceWash your Facebook

Eileen Tully, Staff Writer
February 1, 2013
Filed under News

Admit it; Most people, at one point or another, have either posted or had something containing profanity posted on their Facebook walls. However, Facebook has climbed to the number one most popular social networking site over the past couple of years. “I mean we've built a lot of products that we... Read More »

There and back again: D.C. edition

There and back again: D.C. edition

Eileen Tully, Staff Writer
January 28, 2013
Filed under News

On Jan. 18, 22 students from West along with 14 chaperones and 66 students from the other Parkway schools left from Parkway Central to begin their trip to Washington, D.C. “The Inauguration itself was definitely the best part. What an incredible opportunity to see America’s democracy represented... Read More »

Can you trump our Jeopardy star?

Can you trump our Jeopardy star?

Eileen Tully, Staff Writer
January 17, 2013
Filed under News, Showcase

To kick off math teacher Patrick Mooney’s Jeopardy debut, the library is hosting a contest to see who can beat Mooney at his own game, on Friday Jan. 18, during both lunch periods. “It was a childhood dream. I never thought Jeopardy would be the first,” Mooney said. Jeopardy is played with... Read More »

You feast, they fast

Eileen Tully, Reporter
December 22, 2012
Filed under Features

While the holidays are filled with sweets, treats and parties galore, seniors Megan Tully and John Pappas began a strict 40 day Christmas fast, for the Greek Orthodox religion, on Nov. 15. For Pappas, this is his first time participating in the Christmas fast. Although Tully used to participate in... Read More »

loading