• Beta Chi Pi selling Ted Drewes at lunch April 17!

• Blood Moon lunar eclipse April 15 from 12-3 AM!

• Senior-Directed One Acts April 17 at 3 and 7 PM!

• No school April 18!

• AP registration due by April 17!

• USDA bans the sale of junk food in schools (starting July 1st)

• Last day to buy a yearbook is April 15!

• Prom tickets go on sale April 14!

• April is Autism Awareness Month!

City-county merger: good or bad idea?

City-county merger: good or bad idea?

John Watson, Editor in Chief
April 9, 2014
Filed under Opinions, Uncategorized

In 1876, St. Louis city and St. Louis county separated in what was known as "The Great Divorce." Given the circumstances at the time, this was a good deal for taxpayers within the city. However, a lot can change in 138 years. Spoiler alert! A lot changed. The separation, which was prompted by the... Read More »

Boys volleyball will look for production from junior class

John Watson, Editor in Chief
March 10, 2014
Filed under Sports

The 2014 boys volleyball team will be looking forward to their upcoming season with only a small nucleus of returning players. The team is coming off a 2-14 season. The Longhorns will be anchored by returning players senior Ian Osbourne and junior Tucker Watts, who are both entering their second year... Read More »

Duck dynasty drama

Duck dynasty drama

John Watson
January 22, 2014
Filed under Opinions

Reality T.V. has become the cornerstone of the new generation of entertainment. Shows like Pawn Stars, Keeping up with the Kardashians and The Voice are all television series that document unscripted situations and actual occurrences, all while featuring a previously unknown cast. Typically, reality... Read More »

How are Snow Days decided?

How are Snow Days decided?

John Watson, Editor in Chief
December 18, 2013
Filed under Features, Showcase

For students and teachers, snow days begin with a phone call early in the morning that starts off with the all too familiar phrase “Due to the inclement weather...” For third year Parkway Superintendent Dr. Keith Marty, Snow days go in a much different direction. Marty is a man who knows his... Read More »

Boys and Girls Swimming inducted into the Missouri Hall of Fame

John Watson, Editor in Chief
December 10, 2013
Filed under Featured Sports Story Carousel, Showcase, Sports

The Parkway West swim program, both boys and girls, were selected for induction into the Missouri Sports Hall of Fame. West will be joining the likes of Stan Musial and Dan Dierdorf as only the fourth high school program ever selected to be in the Hall of Fame, and the first from the St. Louis area. “I... Read More »

Rams lose Bradford to a torn ACL

Rams lose Bradford to a torn ACL

John Watson, Editor in Chief
October 23, 2013

Just as the St. Louis Rams’ offense began to finally come together, they lost their most key part in fourth year quarterback Sam Bradford to a torn ACL while playing against the Carolina Panthers. He will miss the rest of the 2013 season. While trying to lead a second half comeback while down 15-30,... Read More »

Longhorns look to build off of success

Longhorns look to build off of success

John Watson, Editor in Chief
October 9, 2013

The Longhorns made the 2013 homecoming game a night to remember with a 30-14 win over the Rockwood Summit Falcons. The win marks the end of a 23 game drought that began in 2011. “This win is fantastic. Everybody has been waiting for so long and it just feels great to deliver,” senior Calvin Gorczyca... Read More »

Maximizing the Minimum Wage

Maximizing the Minimum Wage

John Watson, Editor in Chief
September 27, 2013
Filed under Uncategorized

Poverty is defined by the U.S. government as the lack of goods and services commonly taken for granted by members of mainstream society. Things like phones, cars and healthcare are all things that could fall into this category. Across West County, our poverty rate sits at a steady 5%, but that rate... Read More »

Bill O’Neal: The Man, The Myth, The Legend

John Watson, Editor in Chief
September 19, 2013
Filed under Features

For the class of 2014, this school year represents the end of our beginnings. For English teacher and assistant football coach Bill O’Neal, the end of this school year represents the beginning of the end. After teaching and coaching at Parkway West High for the last 29 years, O’Neal has decided to... Read More »

The Syrian revolution – a different perspective

John Watson, Editor in Chief
September 4, 2013
Filed under Features, Showcase

Over the past few decades, the Middle East has been the center of attention when it comes to military conflict. A countless number of countries have sent troops, either on their own terms or by order of the United Nations, to countries all over the Middle East. Since 2001, the U.S. has spent $1.5... Read More »

A nation of debt

John Watson
April 22, 2013
Filed under Opinions

As the nations debt toll continues to rise as it has been since the Bush administration, we await a much-needed change in our current federal spending habits. According to usdebtclock.org, as of now, the United States National debt is at $16.5 trillion and rising. The debt can be blamed on a plethora... Read More »

Baseball team settles in

John Watson, Staff Reporter
April 19, 2013
Filed under Sports

Following a slow start, the baseball team has found its rhythm and is beginning to develop a resilient attitude. Coached by Aaron Hickman and led by captains J.C. DeMuri and Curtis Smith, the Longhorns were edged out of a first place finish in the Suburban South conference tournament by Parkway Central... Read More »

Red Light Cameras: Fair or Unfair

Red Light Cameras: Fair or Unfair

John Watson
March 13, 2013
Filed under Opinions

Picture this: You are driving down Manchester during the middle of the day. There are no other cars on the road, so being extremely cautious is not necessary. You see a traffic light turn yellow and speed up to make it through. Just before you make it to the intersection, the light turns red, but you... Read More »

Baseball Team begins fundraisers

Baseball Team begins fundraisers

John Watson, Staff Writer
March 4, 2013
Filed under News

With the first game of baseball season just weeks away, the team has set up two fundraisers in which students and families can help support their team. The first of which is a Trivia night on Saturday, March 9 at the Trinity Lutheran Church on Clayton Road. The tickets are available for $25 per person... Read More »

What’s the problem with North Korea?

John Watson, Staff Writer
February 28, 2013
Filed under Opinions

With tensions continuing to rise on a dangerous scale, it becomes a greater question as to what should be done about the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, or, North Korea. Since becoming an international power of nuclear energy, North Korea has exemplified extremely provocative and questionable... Read More »

A Family Affair

A Family Affair

John Watson, Staff Writer
January 31, 2013
Filed under Features

As the days dwindle down to the start of Super Bowl XLVII, the Harbaugh family has found themselves in a unique situation. The family will be watching their own two sons coaching against each other with the best teams in professional football on the biggest stage North America has to offer. The game... Read More »

Hockey is back!

Hockey is back!

John Watson, Staff Writer
January 25, 2013
Filed under Featured Sports Story Carousel, Sports

After four months of conflict, the owners of the NHL and the NHL Players Association have reached a new Collective Bargaining Agreement, which will begin the belated regular season of professional hockey. Under the new agreement, teams will now have a salary floor of $44 million and a cap of $60 million... Read More »

Bearing arms

John Watson
January 15, 2013
Filed under Opinions

Over the past year, we have seen a sickening number of mass shootings that have resulted in the countless deaths of innocent people, totaling 16 lethal mass shootings and 88 deaths. The amount of attention these mass shootings have received is sparking controversy within the federal government, calling... Read More »

Making his name

John Watson, sports writer
December 22, 2012
Filed under Features

The varsity boys basketball team is steadily working its way into the season, holding a solid 3-3 record and staying in every game until the final buzzer. Aside from players who were key contributors last season, the Longhorns have a new pool of talent to draw from for this season. That talent is junior... Read More »

Boys’ basketball dominates first two of three games

John Watson, Sports Writer
December 6, 2012
Filed under Sports

After a pre-season filled with countless conditioning drills and exercises, the Parkway West Boys’ Basketball team has started to show some promise, winning two of their first three games. The Longhorns season started off by a show of their impressive high-powered offense in a 67-70 loss to Parkway... Read More »

NHL lockout: when will it end?

John Watson
November 14, 2012
Filed under Sports

The NHL lockout has past the 50-day mark into the regular season. So far, a total of 327 regular season games have been canceled, which results in the loss of approximately $100 million in potential revenue. Over the past few years, we have seen two other expired collective bargaining agreements,... Read More »

West-Central rivalry game

West-Central rivalry game

John Watson
October 31, 2012
Filed under Sports

With the playoffs underway, the boys’ soccer team sets its sights on rival Parkway Central. “We’ve got a great team this year. Everybody has been working hard and staying focused all season. If we keep all of that up, we have a good chance to win districts,” junior Gavyn Prsha said. The... Read More »

Girls Volleyball Looks Towards Districts

John Watson, Sports Writer
October 9, 2012
Filed under Sports

Riding a 10-12 record, the girls volleyball team faces the end of the season and upcoming district games. "I think we can win. We have strong individual skill, but we need to come together if we want to do well in districts," senior Sophie Baker said . The team is finishing the season strong,... Read More »

Longhorns Utilize Young Talent

Longhorns Utilize Young Talent

John Watson, Sports Writer
October 8, 2012
Filed under Sports

The Longhorns are approaching the end of the season, and they are still looking for their first win. The team faces a brutal schedule in a division with the #1, #7 and #9 teams in the state. “As a team, we’re really looking to improve the win/loss category. We have talent on this team, we just... Read More »

loading