The Official Student News Site of Parkway West High

Pathfinder

Pathfinder

Pathfinder

Rams lose Bradford to a torn ACL

Just as the St. Louis Rams’ offense began to finally come together, they lost their most key part in fourth year quarterback Sam Bradford to a torn ACL while playing against the Carolina Panthers. He will miss the rest of the 2013 season.

While trying to lead a second half comeback while down 15-30, Bradford was forced out of the pocket and tried to run out of bounds, only to be pushed by Carolina safety Mike Mitchell. Bradford fell at an awkward angle and immediately began writhing in pain on the Rams sideline.

The hit, which was celebrated by Mitchell, only added to the strong tension between the two teams, which had already drawn several unsportsmanlike penalties as well as an ejection of a Rams player, defensive end Chris Long.

A war of words between Rams cornerback Janoris Jenkins and Panthers wide receiver Steve Smith ignited multiple fights. According to Smith, Jenkins had talked trash about his family before the game.

Backup quarterback Kellen Clemens filled in for Bradford, but Bradford’s absence was quickly noted as the Rams’ offense became substantially unproductive.

The Rams would go on to complete the game without scoring any more points, but more importantly, without a quarterback.

Clemens will start for the Rams in their Monday night matchup against the division rival Seattle Seahawks, however they have signed two other quarterbacks to fill in backup roles.

Brady Quinn and Austin Davis were both brought in after workouts with numerous free agent quarterbacks. The starting position will be up for grabs between the three for the remainder of the season.

Davis, who was cut from the Rams in the preseason, already has an idea of what the Rams’ game plan is whereas Quinn has to re-learn the entire offense. It is likely that there will be a position battle at the quarterback position for every week until the end of the season.

While seeing Bradford go down with such an injury during his best start of his career, it’s a little unsettling to think about the future. Coach Jeff Fisher re-assured fans in an interview, saying “[Bradford] will be back, and he’s our quarterback.”