The Official Student News Site of Parkway West High

Pathfinder

Pathfinder

Pathfinder

There and back again: D.C. edition

Annie Wayland
Junior Kimberly Mayden, sophomore Sami Corbitt, junior Megan Reilly, sophomore Stephanie Quoss, sophomore Stefanie Elsperman, junior Gabby Rath, sophomore Allison Hughes and junior Rachel Brown stand in downtown Washington, D.C. the day before the Presidential Inauguration. While in D.C. they visited many different historical monuments and museums. “I wish we could have visited the Holocaust museum and other museums as well,” sophomore Stefanie Elsperman said.

On Jan. 18, 22 students from West along with 14 chaperones and 66 students from the other Parkway schools left from Parkway Central to begin their trip to Washington, D.C.

“The Inauguration itself was definitely the best part. What an incredible opportunity to see America’s democracy represented at its finest. It’s amazing to know that our administration can regularly change hands with no violence and the people accept it and furthermore embrace it regardless of political party affiliation. The beauty of the ceremony made me proud to be an American,” history teacher and leader of the trip Annie Wayland said.

Along with attending the Presidential Inauguration and parade, students and chaperones also saw “Sheer Madness” at the Kennedy Center, visited the Smithsonian, went sight seeing, visited museums and saw the Lincoln, Jefferson, FDR, Vietnam, Korean War, MLK, Iwo Jima and JFK memorials.

“I wish we could have spent more time at the Smithsonian. We only got to stay for a short amount of time and I wouldn’t have minded visiting other parts of it. Also, I wish we could have seen the White House better but, understandably, that wasn’t possible,” junior Mitch Regel said.

The students and chaperones arrived at the Inauguration around 9 a.m. and left at around 4:30 p.m.

“It wasn’t as tiring as I expected it to be. Just being there and being a mile or so away from our president and some of the most important and influential people in our country was just so surreal,” junior Yasmin Younis said. “It was also amazing that people of all different backgrounds, views and ages all came together to ‘make history.’”

The students and chaperones returned to Parkway Central on Jan. 22 at 9 p.m.

“Overall, I felt that the trip was worth the time and money. It was an amazing experience that I would recommend to anyone and I wish I could go back to see some of the things I missed,” Regel said.