The Official Student News Site of Parkway West High

Pathfinder

Pathfinder

Pathfinder

Can you trump our Jeopardy star?

Filming+his+hometown+howdy%2C+math+teacher+Patrick+Mooney+stands+next+to+Jeopardy+host+Alex+Trebek.+%E2%80%9CAlex+is+great.+He+is+really+smart+and+funny+and+he+even+wants+to+get+a+picture+with+every+single+contestant%2C%E2%80%9D+Mooney+said.+
Photo provided by Jeopardy
Filming his hometown howdy, math teacher Patrick Mooney stands next to Jeopardy host Alex Trebek. “Alex is great. He is really smart and funny and he even wants to get a picture with every single contestant,” Mooney said.

To kick off math teacher Patrick Mooney’s Jeopardy debut, the library is hosting a contest to see who can beat Mooney at his own game, on Friday Jan. 18, during both lunch periods.

“It was a childhood dream. I never thought Jeopardy would be the first,” Mooney said.

Jeopardy is played with three contestants. The returning champion is automatically one of the contestants, while the others are chosen at random. Instead of having to answer a question, contestants are given an answer and they must come up with the question corresponding with the answer.

“It’s essentially watching the show live. Watching it at home doesn’t feel like half an hour and it feels even shorter being on the stage,” Mooney said.

Mooney prepared by reading, going to trivia nights, planning trivia nights and watching the show.

“I’m so happy the three month wait is over. I want it to be over so everyone else can see it as well. I think everyone will be proud. My hope is it inspires others to try it,” Mooney said.

To check out Mooney’s introduction video, go to http://www.jeopardy.com/showguide/thisweek/ and tune in at 4:30 p.m. to watch Mooney’s premiere on KSDK.