The Official Student News Site of Parkway West High

Pathfinder

Pathfinder

Pathfinder

Student Spotlight: Carolyn Rourke

With graduation on May 17, senior Carolyn Rourke has decided to defer going to college for a year. Instead, Rourke will be participating in a ten-month volunteer trip to Bali and Peru.

“I’ve always wanted to do a cool volunteer trip like this to help less fortunate communities and see their cultures and I feel like now is the perfect time,” Rourke said.

Rourke will be traveling with 20 people from the International Volunteer Headquarters for the duration of her trip. Rourke will spend the first three months (Aug.-Oct.) in Bali. During the first month, Rourke will help work on turtle conservation and then spend the next two in child care of the locals.

“I think this experience will be great for me because I’ve always felt passionately about helping not just other people, but the environment as well,” Rourke said. “Plus the fact that I’ll get to help save my favorite animal is a huge bonus.”

Although the program lasts from Aug. to May, all of the volunteers will be allowed to go home for the months of Nov. and Dec. in order to spend the holidays with their families.

“Another reason I liked this program rather than others is because it sort of has the feel of college, but without the schooling. Since I’ll be able to come home for two months in the middle of my mission, I don’t think I’ll miss home that much,” Rourke said.

For the last three months of her trip, Rourke will be teaching English to people in Peru.

“Helping some of the people of Peru learn English is a great opportunity because a large majority of the job industry relies on tourism,” Rourke said.

In order to participate in this volunteer opportunity, Rourke will not only postpone her college plans, but she will give up her cell phone and have limited Internet access as well.

“It’s going to be really hard not having my usual every day privileges but I’m excited to see the world and help those less fortunate than me,” Rourke said.

After her year off, Rourke plans to attend college at either the University of South Carolina or the University of Missouri, Columbia in order to study International Business.

“Even though I want to go to college for International Business I think it’s really important that I keep doing philanthropic work as a hobby as well since the two sort of go hand in hand,” Rourke said. “This trip is going to be a once in a lifetime experience and I can’t wait to be a part of it.”