The Official Student News Site of Parkway West High

Pathfinder

Pathfinder

Pathfinder

The “Clue” to Solving a Murder

With 216 possible endings, the Clue audience on Feb. 7-9, decided which one of the six characters killed Mr. Boddy.  Although the musical’s endings varied, characters were prepared with their monologues.

Upon three audience members selecting the room, weapon, and culprit, a cart was rolled into the vom to let the cast and crew know the musical’s outcome.

“Me and Caroline Vogl had to fan the cards on the cart to the audience, so they knew we were not cheating and didn’t have a set outcome.  After the cards were picked, we rolled the cart back.  It was hectic because we had to tell Mr. Parrish and the rest of the cast and crew the outcome, so they could plan accordingly,” sophomore Kathryn Harter, assistant stage manager, said.

The set was composed of six rooms:  The Conservatory, The Lounge, The Study, The Ballroom, The Kitchen and The Billard Room.  They were set up like a board game, and the actors/actresses pretended to be game pieces.

“In this case it’s a lot more character driven, and it’s not natural acting.  We’re supposed to be cartoons the whole time,” senior Ezgi Ilhan, who played Miss Scarlet, said.

Some of the characters had to speak in different accents, and stepped out of their comfort zone to connect with their character.

“I have a very strong Cockney accent.  It’s the really coarse English accent,” junior Sarah Cange, who played Mrs. White, said.

Choreography, which was organized by math teacher Patrick Mooney, was rather challenging for some of the cast members.

“The most difficult thing for me was definitely the dancing and getting all the moves down that are required,” senior Julian Fabella, who played Colonel Mustard, said.

There was extensive makeup, hair, and costume planning.

“Last year we rented the costumes from the St. Louis Opera, and this year we bought some online.  We’ve ordered them from Japan, China, all over the world.  Our hired makeup artists are Tristan Johnson and Cameron Pille,” sophomore Sidney Baker, who played The Detective, said.

Because this was a musical that not many people have heard of, the cast members had to work extra hard to make the production a success and make it enjoyable for the audience.

“It’s always great when you hit the right notes, or you get your lines perfect, but I mean if you’re enjoying yourself while being in character, then it just makes the entire show.  Because you could be totally off-key, but if you’re in character with a smile on your face, then no one cares,” Cange said.

Despite a few minor errors backstage, the Clue musical was a success.  The acting was superb and the dancing, although the cast had little experience, was impressive.  Overall the musical was something that everyone, even the audience, can take something away from.

View Comments (1)
Donate to Pathfinder
$190
$800
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Parkway West High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.