The Official Student News Site of Parkway West High

Pathfinder

Pathfinder

Pathfinder

A coming-of-age must read

Charlie starts his freshman year of high school in the fall of 1991. He details his year through letters written to an unknown “friend.” Meeting new friends, Charlie learns to accept difficult circumstances and to be okay with being different…being a wallflower.

The story of Charlie, our wallflower, is a delicate one. It is presented through letters, a simple way to hear things. Coming fresh from his best friend’s suicide and already dealing with his favorite aunt’s tragic and untimely death, Charlie suffers with isolation and depression. Because of this, you discover Charlie’s preference in social situations. He is a natural people watcher. By learning about others, he knows little about himself.

Charlie’s English teacher, however, notices his unique ways, and assigns extra reading and essays. Along with these extra lessons, he advises Charlie to interact more with others. After meeting step brother and sister duo, Patrick and Sam, they soon recognize how special Charlie is. With the help of his new found companions, Charlie learns to live life with a purpose. He comes closer with his family and himself as a result.

This masterpiece is a relatable work of art that needs to be read by all teenagers searching for the meaning of friendship. Life comes with many unexpected surprises, and with Charlie’s honesty and innocence, they are achingly mesmerizing. Your heart and soul reaches out to Charlie as he witnesses the struggle of others; his sister’s lack of judgment, his best friend’s homosexuality and his parents to be the right role models.

Perks of Being A Wallflower is a truly captivating coming-of-age story with a message of true identity. Internal battles can destroy happiness, but Charlie’s journey to find bliss will bring joy and hope to each reader.